Monday, March 1, 2010

READ IT! THE UNDERBURBS

It's been a loooong time since I posted a "READ IT!" entry on the Drumfish Blog. I've been meaning to get back to this and I'm really proud to have THE UNDERBURBS be the first one in a while. Last year at the Wizard Big Apple Con, one of the highlights of the show was meeting Joe Haley and T.J. Dort. Joe and T.J. had the table behind Drumfish and I keep noticing their work every time I looked around. I finally got around to stopping by the table and chatting for a bit (in addition to getting a sketch - see above this post). I was very intrigued by their book, THE UNDERBURBS, so I bought their first trade collecting the first three issues. Wow! I was really, really glad I did. For a while now, I've been waiting to read something new and different, something that had that extra energy in it that makes you want more when you get to the end. THE UNDERBURBS definitely does that. The book is aimed at most ages, but there is enough humor in there that it doesn't make you feel like you're reading a kids book. The book centers around two girls, one from our normal world and another from the world of monsters, who each have their issues with their families. Throw in Halloween and you've got the perfect setting. I don't want to give away too much about this book, because I really enjoyed reading it and not knowing where the story was going and if I say too much, I'd be ruining things. There are a lot of interesting characters and funny lines throughout the story and quite a few laugh-out-loud moments. Check out Joe and T.J.'s website at http://www.comicspace.com/underburbs/ and you can buy THE UNDERBURBS at www.tinyurl.com/2sq49v .

2 comments:

Jamie said...

ill have to give this a read!

Rich B. said...

Yes, you should. It's a really fun book.