Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WIZARD WORLD PHILLY REPORT

Wizard World Philly was a mixture of good and bad. Overall, the Con was great! The attendance was very high and the crowd was super nice and enthusiastic. But what made for a semi-difficult convention was the organization. The Con was run horribly. People were waiting outside in line for hours from what I was told. Apparently, they sold a HUGE amount of "one day" tickets, but I was told by someone that there was no date on them and everyone seemed to pick Saturday for their "one day" which leads to a wait getting in. Not sure if that is true or not, but it was packed Saturday. In addition to that, Artist Alley was a complete mess. Names of people were not on programs (a sheet of paper handed out at the door) or on all tables. Certain people were allowed to set up wherever they wanted and the people who originally had the spot were moved. We never got badges even after being told they would bring them to us two days in a row. Same with name banners on table. It was just overall a mess in terms of treatment and organization.
On the plus side though, the crowd and other artists really helped make this a great show. All around people seemed to be in good spirits and feedback on NEVERMINDS has been great! We sold all of the copies we had except three. And I also sold all the sets of SENTINELS that I brought except one. I always love when I can go home with little to no books, lol. It was great! I also sold a lot of my pre-made headshot sketches and did 5 commissions (shown with this post) at the show. I'm getting more confident with my art and have been able to draw more while at the table. This is something I've been trying to work on for a while now. Hopefully, I'll keep getting better at it. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. I really appreciate everyone who stopped by to say hello! I don't know what it is about Philly, but everyone is always super nice. I even ran into three fellow Tyler School of Art alumni who were sitting behind me. I think there ended up being six graduates from there at the show. It was great to see others who went to the same school as me selling their work. I really enjoy attending this convention and hope that next year they organize it better! Again, HUGE thanks to everyone who stopped by and supported us. We couldn't (and wouldn't) do it without you all!

2 comments:

Rey said...

What don't you do Rich? You're the man. They all look like so much fun. Your Star Sapphire seems to be on steady request. Did you ever think that would be the case? She seems to bring that "lil' bit extra" in your work. I like the pasty lady at the bottom there too.

Rich B. said...

Thanks, Rey! We missed you being there with us.
And yeah, lol, Star Sapphire seems to always sell. Must be the costume, lol. She's on par with Powergirl for showing off, lol.