Saturday, December 8, 2007

ANTHOLOGY SPOTLIGHT: RYAN MCLELLAND

The writer for Serpenta's story in the SENTINELS Anthology is Ryan McLelland. Along with Philip Clark, Ryan is one of the first people I met when I began publishing SENTINELS. At the time, Ryan was a writer for Newsarama and we chatted a bit about the book and he was nice enough to review it for the site. It was also then that I found out that Ryan published his own comic called WISE INTELLIGENCE. I got the issues he had published from him and was impressed by how funny they were. Ryan is a funny guy and full of smartass remarks. So, we got along really well. Over the course of the next few years we chatted about trying to work on something together, but time seemed to get the best of us. We also attended a bunch of conventions together, got lost in the hicks of Pennsylvania (home of Hoss's 39 cent burgers) and have a great Margot Kidder story to tell.

While I knew him, Ryan also started his second comic called PHILLY and asked to use some of the SENTINELS characters in it. I, of course, agreed and he choose to use Templar and Serpenta. I loved the way he wrote them and when it came time to do the SENTINELS Anthology, I knew I wanted Ryan involved.

Ryan's take on Serpenta was extacly what I hoped it would be. Funny, original and full of action. He really captured her spirit and made me proud that I asked him to be involved.

Currently, Ryan is writing a TON of things. He's an editor at Latino Review, pitching numerous proposals, working on his Newsarama feature and involved in some other top secret stuff for a big publisher. I know Ryan is headed for greatness. Check out his work at http://wiseintelligence.blogspot.com/

No comments: