Friday, December 14, 2007

READ IT! MR. SCOOTLES

I really want to plug some great books on this blog that I think people will enjoy. So, I hope every week I'll do this "READ IT!" feature. For me, one of the best thing about going to conventions is finding something new and original. I try to always look through the aisles of my local comic shop too and look for something new, but most stores don't carry a lot of Indie comics and they're hard to find. Which is why finding a new book at a convention is always so much fun for me.

The first book I really love that needs to get more attention is MR. SCOOTLES. Written and drawn by Howie Noeldechen, Mr. Scootles is unique work of art. The story goes like this: Mr. Scootles was a successful cartoon creation from the 1930s who got trapped in Hell due to his creator's suicide. In Hell, he finds out that one of his films is a gateway between Earth and Hell. When two college students find the film and open the canister, they unknowing open the gateway. From there things really get crazy as control over the gateway pulls in agents of Hell and Heaven as well as a nutty/evil College Professor (didn't we all have one of those?). And poor Mr. Scootles is left to fend for himself and try to make his way out of Hell.

What I enjoy most about Mr. Scootles is the unpredictability of the entire book, It's not your typical hero fights villain and hero wins thing. It's full of different characters with their own stories and agendas that make for a great ride.

Then there's Howie's artwork. From the cover, you might think it's a funny cartoon book, but Howie's art totally sets a mood. It's sometimes dark and twisted, and other times light and peaceful. It fits the story so perfectly! Just his view of Hell alone is worth the price of the book. I can't see any other artist doing Mr. Scootles justice, the art is that unique to the story. As I read Mr. Scootles, I often felt as I did when I read Bone and Cerebus. Like I was reading something that really meant something to the creator.

I could go on and on about how great I think Mr. Scootles is, but then I'd probably be spoiling some of the story for people and I don't want to do that. Trust me when i say that you won't be disappointed by this book. The first storyline is about to wrap up in issue #5 and i can't wait to see what happens. It's the perfect time for new readers to discover this awesome book. Check out Howie's website and read through it. He's even posting the issues on his site to read for free. But if you're like me, you'll want to order the issues themselves or wait until Howie puts the first five issues together in a trade. Go to http://www.hcnoel.com/ to see what you've been missing!

No comments: