Saturday, December 1, 2007

ANTHOLOGY SPOTLIGHT: CHARLES HOLBERT JR.

Charles Holbert Jr. is the artist on Harlette's story for the SENTINELS Anthology. I first saw Charles work by looking through his gallery on Deviant Art. Almost immediately, I fell in love with his unique style. I thought to myself, this guy must be a professional already. But I wrote him anyway in hopes that he might be able to work on the Anthology. Luckily for me, he was free and could work within the deadline we had set.
I had only one character in mind for Charles to draw and that was Harlette. His style is perfect for her and with the bold colors he uses I knew it would be an awesome story. Charles works in markers and watercolors to create a truly striking look. It's that energy that first caught my eye and his pages for the Anthology are just as impressive! Working in watercolors can be very difficult, but Charles's pages make it look so easy. He brought Juan's story to life in a way only he could. I can't wait to see the pages printed!

Working with Charles was a pleasure. He kept in contact with me throughout the entire process and let me know how the pages were going. Most artists aren't as professional and you sometimes have to bug them just to make sure things are okay. And even though he lives in Las Vegas, Sin City itself, he didn't get distracted. I can't say I would be able to do the same, lol. Vegas is my kryptonite!

I keep saying this about all the creators involved in the Anthology, but it's totally true, I see BIG things ahead for Charles. I feel fortunate to have worked with him. Currently, Charles is working on a few different projects, which can't be mentioned just yet! Check out his gallery at http://www.kidnotorious.deviantart.com/ to see more of his work and hear what his next projects are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art looks amazing, is that three different versions of Harlette in the top. The one on the far right looks like her fourth book form.

Rich B. said...

Hey Hellstormer! Glad you like Charles's art. I was lucky to have him involved. I think you'll love all the work he has done for the book.
And, yes, that's different versions of Harlette you see. I don't want to spoil the story, but it'll all make sense when you read it! :)