Thursday, November 26, 2009

SKETCH A DAY 318: CUTTER

Happy Thanksgiving! I was trying to think what sketch would be best to post today and decided on Cutter from Elfquest. I figured it was fitting since it's a character from one of the comics I'm thankful for. Wendy and Richard Pini created Elfquest back in the 70s and it quickly became a cult hit. Actually that's a little of an understatement, it was a big hit and sold tons of copies. And in my opinion, the fact that Wendy and Richard started Elfquest by self-publishing makes them important people and very significant in the comic world. Some might debate or think that Elfquest is childish or purely fantasy, but they'd be wrong. Elfquest is very adult and a lot of issues are addressed in this series that are pretty thought-provoking. Like the Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans were an inspiration to me before I started SENTINELS, Elfquest was just as much an inspiration due to Wendy and Richard being such pioneers in self-publishing. I wanted to include them in my "sketch a day" project and show them a little thanks! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

Hellstormer said...

I see a sketch like this and I can just see how much progress you have made. The fur, the hair, facial expression, and the attention to detail are all spot on.


Maybe I should do a sketch a day....

Rich B. said...

Thanks, Keefer. I appreciate the comments. :)
And yeah, you should totally try your hand at this. Even if it's not once a day, maybe twice a week. Whatever it is, set a goal and go for it!