Wednesday, August 20, 2014

SENTINELS ANTHOLOGY #2 SPOTLIGHT: STEPHANE DE CANEVA

Stephane De Caneva is the artist on Gospel’s story in the second SENTINELS Anthology. Born in Marseille, France, Stephane started his career as a computer engineer before working as a freelance illustrator and comic-book artist. 
I first saw Stephane’s work when he entered the 2nd Drumfish Productions Art Contest on deviantArt. All of the judges were blown away by Stephane’s entries (yes, he did more than one!) and he won first place for his rendition of Samanya from NEVERMINDS
I’m really a big fan of deviantArt and I’ve been fortunate to work with so many amazing artists that I’ve met on there and many of them are artists who entered our contests. As soon as I saw Stephane first entry, I knew I wanted him to work with Drumfish Productions one day.
Stephane’s art is unlike any I’ve seen before! I know I’ve said that before about artists (and I’ll say it again, because I’m drawn to new and exciting styles) but all you have to do is look at Stephane’s work and see that it’s one of a kind! What I love most about Stephane’s work is his line work. It’s so fluid and detailed! I have no idea how he does it, but he even makes still objects look like they are alive. He creates the settings and surrounding areas in his stories as if they are characters too and it creates unique and exciting environment. His world is very imaginary and I couldn’t think of any other character I wanted him to draw more than Gospel. 
Stephane teamed-up with the NEVERMINDS art team of Jamie Fay and Danielle Alexis St. Pierre to tell Gospel’s story. Together, they created a beautiful and touching story that captures Gospel’s character perfectly! Jamie and Danielle will get their own spotlight, but it was exciting to see them work in a different way together. And Stephane’s art went from soft and serene with his depiction of Gospel on Earth to moody and electric when she was the ruler of Hell. 
Stephane has had many published works in France include L’AFFAIRE DE L’AUBERGE ROUGE and 7 CLONES. And currently, Stephane is working on the graphic novel METROPOLIS, published by Delcourt. Please check out more of Stephane’s work at http://abc142.free.fr and www.abc142.deviantart.com 

No comments: