Wednesday, March 18, 2009

SKETCH A DAY 42: OMAHA THE CAT DANCER

So, I've been told a few times that I need to draw some characters other than DC or Marvel. I'm trying to do that, so this time I sketched someone a little different. Many people might not have heard of her but Omaha the Cat Dancer has been around for over 30 years now. First created by Reed Waller in 1978, Omaha was at first a political satire for indecency laws in Minneapolis. Shortly after he created Omaha, Reed met Kate Worley and she became the writer of the series. It was then that Omaha really took off and became something huge in Indie comics. Being that the star of the book is a stripper, of course the subject matter is adult. There is a lot of nudity and sex in the series, but that's not all that this series is about. It's about relationships, family, love, politics and mystery. And even though the characters in Omaha are all animals, they're more humanly written than most comics. If your old enough, lol, you should check out the series. I really like the way this sketch turned out. :)

7 comments:

Philip Clark said...

I really like how you handle fabric and hair.

Hellstormer said...

Way to branch out with the sketches!

Being the youngin I am I've never read this book, but you did a great job with the hair and scarf thing.

Ryan McLelland said...

Friggin awesome. I first read Omaha when I was about...12. I saw it in the comic store, then went home and ordered it from Mile High Comics. Laugh.

This is a GREAT....nay...an AMAZING sketch.

Noel said...

This is really cool Rich.
I love the flowy ribbons.
She's Hot! I may have to read this series. I'm intrigued.

Rich B. said...

Thanks, guys. Glad to hear you all like this sketch. I was surprised how it turned out. I was pretty happy with it. I'm starting to figure out that when I like what I'm drawing I seem to do better. When I rush to just get a sketch a day done, they don't seem as good. Right now I'm a little behind in my sketches. I have a few laid out, but haven't had time to finish them this week. Been a crazy week, lol. I'm glad that you guys like Omaha though. :)

Jamie said...

this is by far one of your best!!! draw the bird girl now lol

Rich B. said...

Thanks, Jamie. Lol, I think I'll skip drawing the birdgirl though. One animal character is enough for me for now.