Sunday, August 16, 2009

SKETCH A DAY 157 - 162: SECRET SIX

One of my favorite current books out today is the Secret Six by DC Comics. It's one of the very few books I get monthly. It's written by Gail Simone and drawn by Nicola Scott, who make an incredible team. Gail has quickly become one of my favorite writers. She's just so damn talented. Her grasp on the DC universe is perfect and she mixes a nice blend of fan appreciation and original storytelling in her work. Yet as much as her writing is that of a fan that truly seems to love what she is doing, she never crosses into that cliched writing of doing fanish things. Instead she uses her fandom of the DC universe to strengthen her stories. But what's best about Gail's writing is her dialogue. Each character really has their own voice and I love the vocabulary she uses for them. It's very inspiring! And Nicola is really a hidden gem at DC. Her art is breath-taking at times and her character are on a Perez level as far as facial consistencies. I can't recommend this book enough. Go get it! Here's my attempt at drawing the members of the team. Had fun with them all, except for Bane. He didn't turn out as good as I had hoped.






No comments: