Sunday, June 14, 2009

SKETCH A DAY 97: RED SONJA

I'm trying to draw more obscure or Indie characters so I decided to give Red Sonja a try. I really liked her in pencil form, but think I may have over inked her a bit and messed up a little in places. But hey, that's all part of the process, lol. As I was inking her, it occurred to me that her costume and look is very similar to Starfire from the Titans. Then I remembered that George Perez stated that when he first created Starfire he used Red Sonja as inspiration. It works. And after reading up on Red Sonja, she's a pretty interesting character. They even made a movie on her back in the 80s with Brigitte Nelsen. This was way before her drunken bloated days thankfully, lol. She really fit the part back then, lol. Recently, there was a new film in the works with Robert Rodriguez directing and Rose McGowan supposed to star in it, but it seems to have been shelved. Too bad, I think it might have been pretty good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knows maybe one day they may redo it after all.


Great one though!!


Bob

Rich B. said...

Thanks, Bob. Glad you like her.
Yeah, I hope they redo the movie afterall. I think with the right casting and script, it could kill at the box office.

Anonymous said...

I agree i mean there are alot of things you can do with characters such as this.


Bob

Jamie said...

cool red sonya. you should have added red to her hair and some blood on the sword

Rich B. said...

Thought about that, but decided not to since the colors messed up an original drawing before and I didn't want that to happen again.