Sunday, November 25, 2007

ANTHOLOGY SPOTLIGHT: MATIAS SAN JUAN


Matias is the artist on Electron’s story for the SENTINELS Anthology. A native of Argentina, Matias spent time training there at “sotano blanco”, a comics workshop, while also being influenced by artists like Chris Ware, Mike Mignola and Horacio Altuna.

I feel lucky to have Matias involved in the SENTINELS Anthology and feel his style is perfect for the story Todd Latoski wrote. With a real urban feel to it, I was immediately impressed with his use of shadow and color. I love the tone he set and his pacing on the story is excellent.

I got in contact with Matias through SENTINELS artist Luciano and Deviant Art. You’ll be hearing a lot about Deviant Art on this blog, because it’s a place I found many artists and think it's an excellent site for people to showcase their work.

Working with Matias was a true pleasure. He was professional, fast and dead-on in his portrayal of Electron. What more could I ask for? How about he’s also a really nice guy? In the comic industry, that’s a rarity, but with Matias it’s true. As the pages came in, I was more and more impressed each time. I was a little worried that Matias won't get everything into Electron's ten pages that needed to be there. See, Todd put a lot detail into the story and I really liked it the way it was, but wasn't sure it would all fit in. I didn't want any of it to be cut. Thankfully, Matias was able to work it all in and even said he had fun doing it and didn't feel pressured at all. (lol, talk to the other artists and I'm not sure what they'll say).

Currently, Matias is working on a new magazine that will be published in Argentina and a new comic strip he will be shopping around. Check out more of Matias's work on his Deviant Art page at http://peor-imposible.deviantart.com/ and you can see his comic strip work at http://rutinaencubitos.blogspot.com/ (it's in spanish).

No comments: